- 5-6 pound skinless pork belly (make sure the pork belly is trimmed to an even thickness and doesn’t taper at the ends… I have done this with skin on and off and such a better flavor if you trim off the skin)
- 3 tablespoons Lane’s BBQ Ancho Espresso Rub
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of Prague Powder #1 or Curing Salt #1
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 – ¼ cup water
- Handful of apple or cherry wood chips (soak in coffee)
- In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, Ancho Espresso Rub, curing salt, pepper, and gradually add water until the mixture is paste-like.
- Rub the mixture all over the pork belly.
- Put the belly into a large resealable plastic bag and seal it or wrap in plastic wrap depending on size.
- Fit the belly, in its bag, into a pan, and then place the fridge.
- Refrigerate for 7-10 days, making sure to flip the pork belly once a day.
- After the curing period remove from pan and run under cold water to rinse off the mixture.
- Preheat Ceramic to 225 smoke the bacon to around 150 degrees. Once cool, slice thick, throw it in a skillet & enjoy